Monday, November 14, 2022

Welcome Fall!


Fall is my absolute favorite season! The changes in nature are so dramatic and beautiful. I love harvest time, too! All the hours of planning, prepping, watching and watering come to fruition. It is so satisfying to harvest your own food. But there is nothing that brings me joy quite like my pumpkin patch! I always plant extra because I love the beautiful blooms, the jumbo leaves and sharing the wonderful, orange globes with others. 
This year we planted Jack-o-laterns and sugar baby pumpkins. We kept several for ordemental purposes and processed several as well. We even toasted our seeds for a yummy snack. Now we can pull a jar of grown-in-our-garden pumpkin puree from our pantry and make a yummy treat all winter long.
I am already picking my varity for next year and begging James to make my patch four times the size of this years. My patch this year may or may not have been four times the size of last year!
TIP: to grow round, non-odd shaped pumpkins, place pumpkin bottom down, (when it is possible with out damaging the vine) as soon as possible on a paper plate or a ceramic tile. This takes the pressure off the sides of the pumpkin as it grows and helps ot have a beautiful, uniform shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Current Events

Home made Apple Sauce